Skip to main content

Restoring self-confidence after breast cancer - by Lauren Harmse


Self-confidence; a feeling of trust in one’s abilities, qualities and judgement. Something most women have issues with in everyday life in general. Add cancer into the mix and the concoction can be devastating.  

My self-confidence took a huge hit after I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 29. It was a whirlwind of doctors’ appointments, preparations and wig shopping. I started treatment immediately and the reality only began to sink in after I had completed my first red devil chemo and my scalp became sensitive. I was going to lose my hair and I was devastated.

I had always had “mermaid” hair. It flowed down my back and had always been my crowning jewel. I decided to shave my hair before it started to fall out in chunks, I felt like it made me more in charge of my destiny. My adoring husband shaved his head first and then we started on mine. We first cut it into all sorts of funky styles (very quickly realising that my husband is no hairdresser and should NEVER quit his day jobJ). We made it an enjoyable and memorable experience that I will always cherish. 

Fast forward a couple months, I had my double mastectomy. I now had patchy grey hair on my head, no eyelashes or eyebrows, a flat and cut up chest and I was significantly heavier (thanks chemo and steroids). I had never felt uglier in my life. I couldn’t bear to look at myself in the mirror; my self-esteem was at an all-time low. Even with reassurances from my hubby that I was still beautiful I didn’t feel it. I hid behind my wig and make up. I just wanted to be “normal” again. 
I started having my fills and slowly my hair started to grow back. I ditched the wig and decided to rock my pixie cut, best decision ever! 

Side note: one little fact about hormone positive breast cancer is that your body is put into a menopausal state. Yup, that’s right. I was in menopause, hot flashes and all, and a stuffy wig on top of my head did not help one bit! Fast forward to the farewell of the wig and I couldn’t have been happier to have had fresh air blowing through my baby hairs. I started to feel like each and every one of these little achievements was one step closer to being the old me again. Little did I know I would never ever be the same me again, and that’s the best thing that has ever happened to me. 

I started exercising properly again and could feel my self-confidence rising with every little change I saw in my body or new hair that popped up somewhere.
The gift I have taken from this experience is that now I feel more beautiful than I ever did pre-cancer. Self-confidence is so much more than just loving your physical attributes, it’s about believing in yourself and being proud of what you have achieved. I can proudly look in the mirror and appreciate my scars, they are my proof that I fought and won. I appreciate my body so much for what it went through to keep me alive, it is a source of strength, even with all its imperfections, and that to me is beautiful. I appreciate every single eyelash and eyebrow hair, because I know what it’s like not tohave them. I appreciate my will to live, my positivity I tryto keep throughout this journey and the fact that I am a fighter. 

To all my Pink Sisters, always remember that nmatter what life throws at us, we can handle anything, with a huge smile on our faces and the belief in ourselves that we are amazing and nothing will beat us. 




Comments

Unknown said…
You are a magnificent warrior darling lil lulu.i am in awe of your courage and strength xxx
Rob Crook said…
Lula you are and always be a beautiful, strong and loving young lady. Your bravery is an inspiration to us all and the way you faced and beat this dreaded disease is an example to us all and I hope you message inspires other sufferers to be strong and fight it with a positive attitude and that it can be beaten.💓💓😍😘😘💓💓
Anonymous said…
Lolly. You are an amazing person and such an inspiration to us all. My pride and joy. A daughter that brings such joy into my life. Dad Johan.
Anonymous said…
Lolly. You are an amazing person and such an inspiration to us all. My pride and joy. A daughter that brings such joy into my life. Dad Johan.
Unknown said…
Lulz! You are just phenomenal!!! <3
Anonymous said…
Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to look it over.

I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

Great blog and outstanding style and design.
Anonymous said…
I just like the valuable info you provide for your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and take a look at again right here frequently.
I'm fairly sure I'll be informed plenty of new stuff right here!

Best of luck for the next!
Anonymous said…
obviously like your web-site but you have to check the spelling on quite a
few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to
find it very troublesome to tell the reality on the other hand I'll definitely come back again.
Anonymous said…
Hi there, I discovered your blog by the use of Google while looking for a comparable subject, your site came
up, it seems to be great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hi there, simply turned into alert to your
weblog via Google, and found that it is really
informative. I'm gonna be careful for brussels. I'll appreciate
when you proceed this in future. Lots of folks will likely be
benefited from your writing. Cheers!
Anonymous said…
I am really impressed together with your writing skills and also with the layout in your weblog.

Is that this a paid theme or did you modify it your
self? Either way stay up the nice high quality writing,
it's uncommon to see a nice blog like this one
these days..
Anonymous said…
I could not refrain from commenting. Perfectly written!
Anonymous said…
Awesome! Its really amazing post, I have got much clear idea about from
this piece of writing.
Anonymous said…
Pretty! This has been a really wonderful article.

Thanks for supplying these details.

Popular posts from this blog

Rule No.33 - Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

Okay, rules are back and what a classic one! This quote is by Harry S Truman. He was the 33 rd president of America, historians call him “a controversial president”, the band Chicago wrote a song just for him and he has a commemorative holiday in his name on the 8 th May in Missouri. This is brilliant advise, not in the literal sense, well, that too, but if you having a seriously bad day, don’t make things worse by deliberately doing something that will bite you in the bum later. I did this the other day, so I am talking out of experience here. I went into a situation and then on the way out, after realising it was a bad situation, I kicked a fresh turd cause I was so mad. (again, not literally, although, that might have been a better idea in hindsight) My advise in this circumstance is to stay indoors that day until you have calmed yourself down. I’ll leave you with another quote from Truman : A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who

Rule No. 76 – Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

I was on a plane last night on my way home and after my original idea of having a really awesome nap after two extremely tough weeks being completely thrown aside thanks to my hard of hearing peeps behind me that thought it necessary to use their fists on the tray to make a point, and they had a LOT of points, while bashing my chair at the same time, i decided what better time to think about this rule instead. Use my time productively. Then, somewhere between my eyes rolling back in exhaustion and semi consciousness, i looked over to the other row and there was a lady with her wallet on her lap, sorting out her slips, throwing away her bank statements. Brilliant. Seriously though, why would you want to keep them? We all do, just in case we need it for something, but when have you ever really needed them?These days they give you the option if you want to print out the receipt or not. Do yourself and the tree's a favour and just say no. Sorted. Now love letters. Aaah, love letters. I

Rule No. 144 - Take calculated risks. That is quite different from being rash.

To be rash is to act   too   hastily   or   without   due   consideration. That's the official meaning and also how I have made most decisions in my life. Luckily though a lot of those have turned out okay but that i believe is pure luck and some amazing angels watching over me. In the same breath, a couple of those decisions have pretty useless and self destructive.  Taking risks only came "later" in life, but after the first big risk, I was hooked. Making calculated ones didn't come naturally though and once your first rash decision turns out to be the best risk of your life, it's hard to kick the habit. So this rule is something I need to work on and will do my best to implement into my life so that I don't repeat some of the really idiotic rash decisions I have made, especially with regards to matters of the heart.  A calculated risk needs forethought, weighing outcomes and at the same time avoiding stupid actions. What you need to ask yourself first